History Of The First Reformed Church
At a meeting of the Classis of Rensselaer held on August 25, 1835, an application representing about twenty families, was made requesting the organization of a Reformed Dutch church in the
city of Hudson.
The cornerstone of the first church was laid April 1836, on the site of what is now the Center for the Disabled, in the upper four hundred block of Warren Street. This stone presently rests over the entrance door of the present church on Green Street.
The Reverend Richard Sluyter from the
Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack
who aided in the church’s organization, delivered the charge to the church’s first pastor, Reverend George H. Fisher at his installation on October 13, 1835.
The church building was completed and dedicated December 18, 1836. The building served the congregation well for many years. A fire April 1, 1934, causing much damage necessitated the
remodeling of the structure into a
more efficient building.
Fire struck again on May 8, 1955. The congregation at that time decided to move to its present location at 52 Green Street providing more adequate facilities. The first service in the new church was held April 7, 1957.